How does your bedroom make you feel? What feeling do you desire to have when you walk into your bedroom at night?
If a calm, soothing oasis is what you're after, then incorporating Feng Shui principles in your bedroom may be just what you need. Feng Shui, or the art of placement, focuses on the way objects are arranged in a room and how that arrangement affects the "energy flow" of the space.
1. Reserve your bedroom for these two things… According to Feng Shui principles, your bedroom should only be used for two things—sleep and sex. Televisions, work computers, and exercise equipment are all banned from the bedroom because Feng Shui experts say that they disrupt the energy flow and bring negative energy to the environment.
2. De-clutter Clutter is Feng Shui’s worst enemy. Feng Shui experts say clutter keeps the mind unsettled and prevents relaxation.
3. Re-position your bed Bed placement is key in Feng Shui design. Experts say the most commanding position for the bed is against a solid wall (not against a window) that’s opposite the bedroom door, but not directly facing it. In Feng Shui, what you put on the bed is almost as important as where you put it. Invest in quality bedding that’s soft, soothing and inviting, and more importantly: chemical free!
4. Choose paint color carefully No fiery reds or bright greens allowed. That’s because these bright colors are stimulating rather than relaxing. Experts say to opt for neutrals like tan, cream and cocoa, which bring warmth to the bedroom environment.
5. Create symmetry Symmetry is an important principle in Feng Shui design. If you can, center the bed on a wall that’s opposite the bedroom door and place coordinating nightstands on each side. Keep symmetry in mind when hanging artwork and positioning lamps and other decorative items.