Ready? Set… Go!
Spring cleaning is a long-held tradition. Warming temperatures, open windows, and longer daylight time; everything conspires to energize us into refreshing our living quarters. It’s time for spring cleaning! In this article, we’ve pulled from several great resources — listed at the end of this blog — to provide you with a condensed list of things to do to spring-clean your bedroom. Combine this outline with a budget of a tad over an hour, and you will end up with a bedroom that is not only clean, but is also sparkling, fresh, and healthy! There’s even a few bonus tasks, should you find you have extra time! Why not start now?
From the Top
Gravity is your friend. Start your bedroom cleaning sprint from the ceiling and work your way down. This will ensure that all the loose dust and debris are eliminated with each new step.
Wipe ceiling, ceiling fans, light fixtures, and walls
Total time: 15 minutes
- A telescoping cleaner can help you reach higher; alternatively, use a towel wrapped over a broom.
- Use tube socks and pillowcases to safely get rid of the bigger fuzzies.
- No chemicals needed: a concoction of 3 parts water / 1 part vinegar will do the trick.
- Don’t forget baseboards! A microfiber mop can do them quickly.
Total time: 8 minutes
- Wash, vacuum, or wipe window treatments.
- You can even just toss them in the dryer for 8 minutes to get the dust off.
- Clean the windows on a cloudy day to avoid visible streaks.
- Use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe the window panes, followed by a polishing cloth, newspaper, or your favorite cleaner.
- Wipe the window sills and vacuum between window and screen.
Strip the bed: throw sheets in the washing machine.
Total time: 10 minutes
- Switch to lighter-weight linens, such as percale or sateen rather than flannel.
- Place your mattress pad, duvet covers, and bed skirts near the washer for the next load
- Vacuum the mattress.
- Using the crevice tool is helpful near seamlines.
- Flip and rotate the mattress if necessary (many of ours don’t require this step.)
Clean and freshen pillows according to manufacturer instructions
Total time: 10 minutes
- Wash the pillows where suitable.
- Put the pillows outside in the sun to freshen them (wool pillows love this).
- Punch up and pull apart the insides of adjustable pillows to fluff them up.
- Spot clean the outside case of the pillows.
- Swap the pillowcases.
Dust flat surfaces
Total time: 7 minutes
- This is the time to clear clutter and move anything that doesn’t belong.
- Wipe dressers and nightstands, vacuuming drawers if needed.
- Bonus: declutter drawers, donate what is not needed.
Clean floors by vacuuming or mopping, moving furniture as possible
total time: 15 minutes
- Sprinkling baking soda on the carpet before vacuuming it will freshen it.
- Bonus: steam clean carpets, wax floors.
Bonus: Declutter the bedroom closet and donate what is not needed.
If you liked this checklist, please consider sharing it with friends and family. Thank you!
Other blog post resources:
The Effects of a Dirty Bedroom Your Bedroom Cleaning Routine
Sources for Spring Cleaning